The policy for other websites of the Ironman brand, such as ironman.com, runrocknroll.com or u.ironman.com, can be found on the respective websites. For the participation in Ironman sport events, we have separate policies tailored to the specific needs of the activities. You will find the applicable policies when opening the event websites on ironman.com. The policies for Ironman volunteer activities or media accreditation in the EU are provided at the volunteer registration or application for media accreditation.
- Who is data controller of your personal data?
World Triathlon Corporation located at 3407 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Suite 100, Tampa, Florida, USA 33607("WTC", "we", "us" or "our"), is the data controller. We are responsible for, and control, the processing of your personal data.
Please note that the contracting partner for purchases from our EU Ironman Store (eu.ironman.com) is Ironman Germany GmbH, Höchster Straße 90, 65835 Liederbach, Germany ("Ironman Germany"). All personal data relating to a purchase in our EU Ironman Store will therefore be processed jointly with Ironman Germany. Please see Section 5 for more information.
- What personal data do we collect?
In the context of rendering our Services, we may collect personal data about you. Please see Annex 1 for a detailed description on the personal data we collect. On a more general level, the personal data we collect can include the following:
- If you set up a customer account. Name, e-mail address, mailing address, birth date, gender, shipping addresses, information on past and current orders and other information you provide.
- If you buy Ironman merchandise online. Name, e-mail address, billing details, shipping address and information on your purchase. Please note that any bank account information is directly collected by a payment service provider and we do not have access to such information.
- If you contact us via e-mail, phone or mail. Name, e-mail address, phone number, address and other information you provide.
- If you subscribe to our newsletters. Name, e-mail address, marketing campaign information such as your reaction to our marketing and your interest in our Services.
- If you merely use our website. IP address, network file system, access times, domain name, browser data, browser type and language, device type, device ID, Uniform Resource Locators (URL), operating system, language preferences, information on your usage of our website and online activities.
- How do we collect your personal data?
Personal data is collected in many ways and may include:
- Personal data you provide to us. Most of the personal data we receive comes to us voluntarily from our users in the course of using our Services, such as when visiting our website, ordering our merchandise, setting up or using accounts, subscribing to our e-mail newsletters or communicating with us.
You are free to choose which information you want to provide to us or whether you want to provide us with personal data at all. However, some information, such as information on your order or for setting up your account, may be necessary for the performance of our contractual obligations in the context of your purchase or account registration. Without providing this personal data, you will not be able to buy our merchandise online or set up an account.
- Personal data we receive from others. We may receive personal data about users from third parties such as our vendors and law enforcement agencies.
- Why and on which legal basis do we collect and use your personal data?
The reasons for using your personal data may differ depending on the purpose of the processing. Please see Annex 1 for a detailed description of the purposes for which we use your personal data. On a more general level, we regularly use your data for the following purposes and on the following legal grounds:
- We use your personal data for the performance of our contractual services or for the preparation of a contract with you. If you order our merchandise or set up an account with us, we use your personal data to provide you with the requested contractual services.
- We use your personal data if justified by our legitimate interests. The usage of your personal data may be necessary for our own business interests and for providing our Services. For example, we use some of your personal data to enable you to visit and use our website (see also Section 9 on cookies and similar technologies). We may use some of your personal data to evaluate and review our sales and business performance, create financial statements, improve and individualize your experience and enjoyment of our Services, and identify potential cybersecurity threats. If necessary, we may also use your personal data to pursue or defend ourselves against legal claims.
- We use your personal data after obtaining your consent. In some cases, we may ask you to grant us separate consent to use your personal data. Where we ask you for your consent, you are free to deny your consent and the denial will have no negative consequences for you. You are also free to withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future. If you have granted us consent to use your personal data, we will use it only for the purposes specified in the consent form.
This also includes our e-mail marketing activities. If you sign up for our e-mail newsletter on our website, we will use your personal data in our e-mail marketing campaigns. You may unsubscribe from our e-mail newsletter at any time [unsubscribe from this list]. You may also contact us via e-mail, phone or mail at the address provided at the end of this document to request that we remove you from our e-mail list.
Depending on regional legal requirements, such as in the European Union, we also ask for your consent when setting certain Cookies (see Section 9 for further information).
- We use your personal data to comply with legal obligations. We are legally obligated to retain certain personal data for tax reasons and commercial law requirements and we might be required to provide data to law enforcement on request.
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we have collected them. We do not use your personal data for automated individual decision-making.
- With whom do we share your personal data?
As required in accordance with how we use it, we will share your personal data with third parties. Please see Annex 1 for a detailed description of the third parties and the personal data we might share with them. On a more general level, we share your personal data with the following third parties:
- Our affiliates and subsidiaries. We work closely together with our affiliates and subsidiaries around the world in regard to our merchandising activities. With respect to our EU Online Store (eu.ironmanstore.com), Ironman Germany is the contractual partner for all merchandise sales. As customer service is also organized by us, we and Ironman Germany use the personal data of our EU customers as joint controllers. Please see the full list of our affiliates and subsidiaries in Annex 2.
- Service providers and advisors. Third-party vendors and other service providers that perform services for us and on our behalf, which may include marketing campaign services, providing mailing or e-mail services, services related to our e-commerce and merchandising activities, warehousing, payment processing, data enhancement services, fraud prevention, web hosting, or providing analytic services. If applicable, such service providers will, by appropriate data processing agreements, be bound to process personal data only on our behalf and under our instructions.
- Purchasers and third parties in connection with a business transaction. Personal data may be disclosed to third parties in connection with a transaction, such as a merger, sale of our assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business, or in the event of a bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
- Law enforcement, regulators and other parties for legal reasons. Personal data may be disclosed to third parties as required by law or subpoena or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to enforce our legal claims or to protect the security or integrity of our Services; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of WTC, Ironman Germany, our partners, employees or others.
- How long do we keep your data?
We will store personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect the personal data, in accordance with our legal obligations and legitimate business interests. Afterwards, or at the end of the statutory retention times, the personal data will be deleted, as applicable. For example, national commercial or financial codes may require retaining certain information for up to 10 years.
- How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal data. However, no system of security can be 100% secure and so we cannot guarantee in all cases the security of the information that we process. In the event we learn that personal data is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take steps to investigate and comply with notification obligations and take other steps, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- How do we safeguard your personal data when there is an international transfer?
As we are located in the United States, we will in some cases transfer personal data from the EU and the European Economic Area to the United States. If you are currently in the EU, this means that your personal data will be stored in a jurisdiction that offers a level of protection that may, in certain instances, be less protective of your personal data than your resident jurisdiction.
In order to better safeguard the direct collection of personal data from data subjects located in the EU to third parties outside the EU and the European Economic Area, we have entered into contracts which are based on the EU Standard Contractual Clauses with our European affiliates (including Ironman Germany) for the benefit of the affected data subjects. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Before transferring your personal data to a third party outside the EU and European Economic Area, we will enter into contracts based on the EU Standard Contractual Clauses to safeguard your personal data.
- Cookies and similar technologies
We, and our third-party partners, automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our website, when you read our e-mails, or otherwise engage with us. Cookies, flash objects, web beacons, file information and similar technologies are used to distinguish you from other users of our website. You can usually change the settings of your browser to modify the permissions you give to us and third parties for the storing of and gaining access to Cookies on your device.
- What are Cookies used for? Cookies are pieces of code that allow for personalization of our website experience by saving some of your personal data, such as user ID and preferences. A Cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your device's hard disk (such as your computer or smartphone) for record-keeping purposes. Cookies and similar technologies ("Cookies") do lots of different jobs, like helping us understand how our website is being used, letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences and language settings and generally improving your browsing experience. Cookies can also help us to ensure that marketing you see online is more relevant to you and your interests.
- What types of Cookies are used by us and our partners? The types of Cookies used on our website can generally be put into one of the following categories: strictly necessary; analytics; functionality; advertising; and social media.
- Strictly Necessary: These Cookies are essential to make our website work. They enable you to move around the website and use its features. Without these Cookies, services that are necessary for you to fully use our website may not be available. Insofar as personal data are processed at all when strictly necessary Cookies are set, the processing is based either on the performance of a contract (when necessary for the Ironman Account) or it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests.
- Functionality Cookies: These Cookies allow us to remember choices you make and tailor our website to provide enhanced features and content to you. For example, these Cookies can be used to remember your username, language choice or country selection, and they can also be used to remember changes you have made. The processing is based either on the performance of a contract (when necessary for the Ironman Account) or it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests.
- Analytics Cookies: These Cookies collect information about how people are using our website, for example which pages are visited the most often, how people are moving from one link to another and if a particular user experiences error messages on certain pages. All information these Cookies collect is grouped together with information from other people's use of our website. Overall, these Cookies provide us with analytical information about how our website is performing and how we can improve it. If you are accessing our website with a European IP address, you have been asked to consent to the use of these Cookies. You are free to deny your consent. Please see Annex 3 for more information.
- Advertising Cookies: These Cookies are used to deliver advertisements that are more relevant to you and your interests. If you are accessing our website with a European IP address, you have been asked to consent to the use of these Cookies. You are free to deny your consent. Please see Annex 3 for more information.
- Mobile devices: If you enter our website or apps via a mobile device with activated location-based services, we may collect information about your current location as well as the kind of mobile device in use. Most of the mobile devices provide the possibility to disconnect from location-based services or to deactivate those.
- How can you manage Cookies? If you would prefer not to accept Cookies, most browsers will allow you to (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a Cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing Cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject Cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the website, as some features and services on our website may not work properly. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all Cookies. Your Cookie settings can typically be adjusted in the "options" or "preferences" menu of your browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful, otherwise you should use the "Help" option in your browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari web and iOS
We also use clear gifs in HTML-based e-mails sent to our newsletter subscribers to track which e-mails are opened and which links are clicked by them. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of our Services. You can set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain these technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our e-mail and performed certain functions with it.
Additionally, we support the self-regulatory principles for online advertising (Principles) published by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA). This means that we allow you to exercise choice regarding the collection of information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites for online interest-based advertising purposes. More information about these Principles can be found http://www.aboutads.info/. If you want to "opt out" of receiving online interest-based advertisements on your internet browser from advertisers and third parties that participate in the DAA program and perform advertising-related services for us and our partners, please follow the instructions at www.aboutads.info/choices, or http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ to place an "opt-out" cookie on your device indicating that you do not want to receive interest-based advertisements. Opt-out cookies only work on the internet browser and device they are downloaded onto. If you want to opt-out of interest-based advertisements across all your browsers and devices, you will need to opt-out on each browser on each device you actively use. If you delete cookies on your device generally, you will need to opt-out again.
- What rights and choices do you have?
We want you to understand your rights and choices regarding how we may use your personal data.
Individual Rights. You have specific rights under applicable privacy law in respect to your personal data that we hold, including a right of access and erasure and a right to prevent certain processing activities.
- a) Your European Union Rights
If you are located in the EU, you have the following rights in respect to your personal data that we hold:
- Right of access. The right to obtain access to your personal data.
- Right to rectification. The right to obtain rectification of your personal data without undue delay where that personal data is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure. The right to obtain the erasure of your personal data without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed.
- Right to restriction. The right to obtain the restriction of our data processing in certain circumstances, such as, where you contest the accuracy of your personal data, for a period of time enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal data.
- Right to portability. The right to portability allows you to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one organization to another. It only applies to personal data that you have directly provided to us.
- RIGHT TO OBJECT. YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO OBJECT TO ANY PROCESSING BASED ON OUR LEGITIMATE INTERESTS WHERE THERE ARE GROUNDS RELATING TO YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION. YOU CAN OBJECT TO THE USE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA FOR MARKETING ACTIVITIES FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER.
If you wish to exercise one of these rights, please contact us using the contact details below. For Cookies or e-mail marketing, we provide the following easily usable option:
- Cookies Settings and Preferences. You may disable cookies and similar technologies through the settings in your browser.
- E-Mail Settings and Preferences. If you no longer want to receive marketing e-mails from us, you may choose to unsubscribe at any time [unsubscribe from this list].
In addition to the foregoing listed rights, if you are located in the EU, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection authority.
The data protection authority responsible for the activities of Ironman Germany is: Data Protection Officer for Hesse, Gustav-Stresemann-Ring 1, 65189 Wiesbaden, Germany.
Further information about how to contact your local data protection authority is available at
- b) Your Nevada Privacy Rights
Under Nevada law, Nevada residents may opt out of the “sale” of their personal information, where the information is exchanged for monetary consideration. If you are a Nevada resident, you may submit a request to opt out of potential future sales under Nevada law by sending a message to our data protection team at email@example.com. Please note we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity and the authenticity of the request.
- c) Your California Privacy Rights
California law requires us to disclose certain information regarding the categories of personal data we collect. Please see Annex 1 for a detailed description of the categories of personal data we collect, the purposes for which we use your personal data and the third parties we might share personal data with. If you are a resident of California, you have the following rights in respect to your personal data that we hold:
- The Right to Know. The right to have us disclose to you any or all of the following information relating to your personal data we have collected and disclosed in the last 12 months, upon verification of your identity:
- The specific pieces of personal data we have collected about you;
- The categories of personal data we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources of the personal data;
- The categories of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for a business purpose, and the categories of recipients to whom this information was disclosed;
- The categories of personal data we have sold and the categories of third parties to whom the information was sold; and
- The business or commercial purposes for collecting or selling the personal data.
- The Right to Request Deletion. The right to obtain the deletion of personal data we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions.
You also have the right to be free of discrimination for exercising these rights. However, please note that if the exercise of these rights limits our ability to process personal data (such as in the case of a deletion request), we may no longer be able to provide you our products and services or engage with you in the same manner.
You may submit a request to exercise your California consumer rights through one of the mechanisms described below. We will need to verify your identity before processing your request, which may require us to request additional personal data from you or require you to log into your account, if you have one. In certain circumstances, we may decline or limit your request, particularly where we are unable to verify your identity or locate your information in our systems, or as permitted by law.
- To exercise your Right to Know, please contact us using the contact details below or call (844) 868-7727.
- To exercise your Right to Request Deletion, please click contact us using the contact details below.
- To exercise your Right to Opt Out of Personal Information Sales, please click the following link:
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
- How to contact us?
World Triathlon Corporation
3407 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33607
- Data Protection Officer
For all enquiries regarding Ironman Germany’s activities, you may also want to contact Ironman Germany’s Data Protection Officer who can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org.